PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ozzies can’t fly when it’s windy?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2019, 23:10
tomuchwork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManaAdaSystem
What’s going on? Canselling MEL and CBR because it may get windy?
17 kts is too much?
Weird way of doing things.
Has nothing to do with the pilots(as always normally), but when burocrats start making rules then it ends like this.

I was flying for long gone Ansett way back(it is actually nearly 19 years, my god, time flies), still remember some of the weird rules they had down under(hated the rules, loved the country). To much influence from their "parents", the brits I must clearly say. Not good, but hey, thats what they know.

Aviation got overregulated over the past(nearly) 2 decades, it did not became better(of course my opinion, as always, but that is what I see in direct comparison). Long time that I am back to Europe and as well here some aviation authorities just do not get it right - take some Italian airports as an example(other nations are not much better, but not to make this post to long lets go with (in)famous ENAC and some of it''s multiple stupid decissions) - there is for instance Treviso(LIPH) that can only accept a maximum of 15 kts x-wind(single runway outfit with usual landing on ILS07 and take off 25. No hills, mountains that affect the runway really. It is just like this. Are italian pilots generally bad? Nope. But their authority is not one of the most effective ones(let's take it like this to say it in a nice way). Treviso is not the only airport that has not so clever rules like that.

We could go on with airports in France, their attitude towards the #1 aviation language, ENGLISH, plus some other rules, UK, SPAIN....

Over the years I learned just to take a deep breath when they come up with something "new" to make my life easy and SAFE(the new magic word that makes everything right), usually it just causes delay. Good for a controller, he goes home anyway. Not so good for us pilots, we are stuck where we usually are, in the flightdeck till time runs out and it becomes game over. Normally they alway manage it that we just make it in time, still, the days become long due to "effective" rules. Just take this "sticking with filed flightlevel" bs that they are pulling here in Europe now. Like that makes any sense in a summer full of bad thunderstorms and the NEED for an effective ATC instead of one that is pulling out (idiotic) rules out of their hat. But that is "modern" aviation nowadays.

To make you fell better - it will just go worse. Overregulation tends to have that effect.