PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Airshow act 2003
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2003, 20:49
hairyclameater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a military man in the main, its gotta be the last Viggen displays at Zeltweg - simply awesome, especially on the Friday when it was thundering around giving a vicious thunderstorm serious competition in the noise stakes!!

The home based Draken was also superb - both gonna be sadly missed.

Other eye catchers for me : RAF Hawk, Hunter at Waddington, German Army MBB BO105 (loops, rolls etc) at Bierset, Belgian Magister (again gonna be sadly missed - such a neat display), Canberra, Meteor and F86 at Duxford, Dutch F16, Spanish F18 at Waddington, Flying Bulls team of 4 Zlin 50s at Zeltweg - almost entirely flown in neg G!!

SAA 747 did look fantastic - I particularly enjoyed the final spiral climb.

Cant possibly imagine the RAF Jag being on my list but each to their own and I find the aerobatic antics of the Breitlings both singly and in formation far too hair raising.Dont get me wrong, I love seeing a Spit or Mustang etc going thru' its paces , but weve lost so many unique warbirds and talented crews to aerobatting of late. (I think the latest Ive seen reported was a French Zephyr which went in after a descending series of rolls)I think the crowd and certainly photographers enjoy some nice, close "top side" passes (aka Old Warden) and wing overs to 8 point rolls, multiple loops and inverted runs etc.These invariably take place further from the crowd and at a greater height and the small size of these birds soon takes them away from public gaze without binoculars or long lenses.

As I said, each to their own - whatever the display long may the shows go on!