PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timely Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2019, 13:41
neville_nobody

Received 138 Likes on 63 Posts
Show me a single airline OM in the country that backs up this claim.
I will hazard a guess that all Ops Manuals have qualifying statements contained within them with certain tolerances. That is very different circumstance than an FO being out of his comfort zone which is what I was referring to.

You've contradicted yourself. Above you state its not the FO's decision and the CPT is not bound by an FO's call to GA. Now you say the FO is within their right to take over? Which is it?
No I haven't. They are two different scenarios. Have a look at CAR 224 and show me where anyone else other than the PIC is responsible for the continuation of flight. If the PIC becomes incapacitated or threatens the lives onboard the FO can take control. Most companies have a framework for this.

So in your scenario, an FO calls for a go around that wasn't required. What happens? A perfectly safe go around. Then, maybe, and I don't view it as likely, but maybe you get called down for tea and bickies. The FO states their reasoning. Perhaps he/she are retrained. Lessons are learned.
Firstly GoArounds are not done all that often, so the risk of people screwing them up, damaging the aircraft (ie flap overspeed) or having some other unintended consequence is a consideration. And there is a risk involved. Goround may mean missing out on landing all together at the airport in question due to weather, curfews, airport issues etc etc. It may mean being forced to divert to a less favourable airport, the options are endless. Maybe the FO gets retrained. But Captains gets demoted which can be career ending so there is a big difference in consequences.

My question to you is if we just blindly follow what the CPT wants to do, who is going to be there when it all gets out of hand and the CPT tries to drive the plane into the ground?
No one is blindly following anybody. My point is that the PIC is the final authority. It is up to the FO to use CRM and whatever other skills/company procedures etc at hand to ensure a safe outcome. I am not suggesting that the FO's
say nothing, however just because the FO says go around does not mean that it should happen. However if the Captain says it then that's what happens. If you and read the FAA Circular the Captain said to go around and the FO didn't do it.