PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timely Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2019, 10:00
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by neville_nobody
Everyone here is missing the elephant in the room which is PIC authority.
The PIC doesn't have the authority to drive the plane into the ground.

Just because the FO says go around does not mean you should. It is the captains decision not the FO's.
Show me a single airline OM in the country that backs up this claim.

Many of the objections raised in this thread are actually communication or CRM issues rather just than the FO wanted to go around and the Captain disagreed. And if the FO believes things are out of hand or the PIC has lost the plot for whatever reason they are well within their rights to take over.
You've contradicted yourself. Above you state its not the FO's decision and the CPT is not bound by an FO's call to GA. Now you say the FO is within their right to take over? Which is it?

So you believe that a arbitrary goaround is required with 3000M+ of runway remaining? What is the risk assessment of a very low level go around vs just landing normally?
This has nothing to do with your original point, the one that has drawn everyones ire. Policy at my airline is that its CPTs discretion. Outside touchdown zone is allowed if CPT believes reasonable runway length remains. Guess what I'm going to do though if we land 3/4 the way down the strip at Ballina?

My point with that is the decision to Go Around was not made by the PIC but by company policy.
Ever heard of this brand new thing called the stabilized approach criteria? A crews decision to GA is governed by a litany of rules outside their control.

My question to you is if we just blindly follow what the FO wants to do who is responsible if it all gets out hand and the crew get called in for a please explain?
So in your scenario, an FO calls for a go around that wasn't required. What happens? A perfectly safe go around. Then, maybe, and I don't view it as likely, but maybe you get called down for tea and bickies. The FO states their reasoning. Perhaps he/she are retrained. Lessons are learned.

My question to you is if we just blindly follow what the CPT wants to do, who is going to be there when it all gets out of hand and the CPT tries to drive the plane into the ground?

Ill give you 3 guesses.