PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timely Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2019, 09:49
neville_nobody

Received 138 Likes on 63 Posts
Everyone here is missing the elephant in the room which is PIC authority. Just because the FO says go around does not mean you should. It is the captains decision not the FO's. My gripe with the FAA's suggestion is the arbitrary nature of the decision making and the surrendering the command of the aircraft to the FO.

Many of the objections raised in this thread are actually communication or CRM issues rather just than the FO wanted to go around and the Captain disagreed. And if the FO believes things are out of hand or the PIC has lost the plot for whatever reason they are well within their rights to take over.

Your assumptions of EK521 are completely out of whack.
So you believe that a arbitrary goaround is required with 3000M+ of runway remaining? What is the risk assessment of a very low level go around vs just landing normally? My point with that is the decision to Go Around was not made by the PIC but by company policy. In the cold light of day I am not so sure if the risk management was well thought out, given the functions of the aircraft and the apparent lack of awareness of what would happen with the aircraft automation.

I hope you are not involved in any airline because what you’re displaying is a complete lack of understanding of airline ops. Your assumptions of EK521 are completely out of whack. Your assertion that an FO doesn’t know anything is completely wrong.

If if you are indeed an airline captain, you need to be pulled off line as you sir are, to put bluntly, unsafe to operate.
My question to you is if we just blindly follow what the FO wants to do who is responsible if it all gets out hand and the crew get called in for a please explain?