PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft crash Leigh Creek
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2019, 09:35
machtuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As they say....' A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing'
The LSA/RAAuS exists to satisfy a need for basic flight, day VMC & works well, mostly. GA is there for a much broader opportunity to fly under more challenging conditions, if needed.
It's a fine line between legal, competent and marginal. It's up to a well trained and disciplined pilot NOT to find out where his skills lie outside of proper training!
Flying IMC or at night especially in the outback takes far more discipline than a jolly in a basic machine during the day for fun!
I truly hope this sad event makes others out there think twice!

Foot note: Many Years ago not long after I obtained my Class IV rating I found myself in an uncomfortable situation at night Sth of YBDV after being unable to land at YINN, had been at the races (don't drink) due a low setting sun and a seriuosly bugged windscreen (no GPS in those days). A missed App meant I had to fly on to YBHI via Moomba. The FS guy stayed back till we landed to make sure we where safel. I was in a well equiped C210 with A/P and legal BUT I did not enjoy it, never flew again in a SE plane NVFR! The poor unfortunate pilot in the Brumby was way over his head most likely. He must have been almost terrified!