PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 12th Jul 2019, 17:22
Tomaski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mac the Knife
'...........the penultimate flight crew did not log use of stab trim cutouts or the continuous stick shaker........."

Now THAT is something that I find completely incomprehensible.

"Hi darling. Careful with the car when you next go shopping. It pulls really hard to the left when you brake. Almost hit a semi on the highway. What's for supper?"

Mac
In hindsight completely unacceptable but let me toss out something that might make it seem less crazy. Keep in mind this is the first time anyone has seen this malfunction, no one knows what MCAS is and certainly no one thinks this aircraft is going to crash the next day. I dont know what actual checklinsts these guys might have done, but neither the unreliable airspeed or runaway trim checklists have the phrase "Land at nearest suitable airport" like engine fire/failure. If Indonesian is one of those airlines where a pilot doesn't think he is allowed to sneeze unless he's got a written procedure to do so then the Captain may have felt pressured to continue to destination since nothing is telling him to land. So he lands but has second thoughts and doesn't want to confess on paper that he may have done something rather unwise so he maybe briefs the mechanic on the side but doesnt put anything incriminating in the logbook. I'd like to say this sort of thing doesn't happen but it does. Poor guy was probably just trying to get the passengers where they wanted to go and thought the maintenance folks would figure it out. Hindsight is always 20/20 and sometimes 20/10.