PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Graham Vavangas
Thread: Graham Vavangas
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2019, 09:52
Same again

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it was. Graham flew with the Blue Eagles (Sioux AH1) as No.3. I knew Graham well in the AAC. He was parachute trained prior to Army flying (with 562 Para Sqn RCT I believe) and was very fit leaving everyone in his wake on BFT's. We flew Gazelle together in West Berlin at 7 Flt AAC in the late 70's. I once asked Graham the origin of his unusual surname. He told me it was Scottish and was an amalgamation through marriage of the Vav and the Angus clans.

Some years later I was about the leave the Army and had an interview with Bristow at Redhill. The chap interviewing me was John Black and he asked me if I knew anyone who worked for Bristow. I mentioned Graham whom I had lost contact with but knew he had joined Bristow. "Oh so you know Captain Vavangas - would he give you a reference?" I said that I had not seen Graham for years but hoped that he would. John left the office and came back with Graham. I started work there shortly afterwards and renewed my friendship with Graham in various 'interesting' parts of the world with Bristow International. RIP Avgas - see you at the final RV. Get the beers in.

Last edited by Same again; 12th Jul 2019 at 10:19.