PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristol-5
Thread: Bristol-5
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2019, 20:46
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It’s rather ironic that Bristol as a city region is readily accessible by surface transport from all parts of the country, being situated next to a major motorway crossroads (M4 and M5) and on a rail ‘crossroads’ (I was going to say ‘crossrail' but that name seems to have been taken) with regular direct services to most points of the compass - London, South Coast, South West, South Wales, Midlands, North and Scotland.

However, when it comes to reaching the airport, the last few miles are challenging. Given this, BRS's sometimes unco-operative weather, a small site over 600 feet AMSL and short runway all surrounded by Green Belt, and it’s remarkable how many people do manage to use the airport - approaching 9 mppa currently.

I sometimes have the reverse experience in reaching LHR from where I live on the south-eastern edge of Bristol, although peak hours and blocked motorways notwithstanding it’s not that much of a hindrance when travelling long haul which are the only occasions I fly from London nowadays.