PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2019, 14:53
pjharb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Airlinepilot1687
I am 32 with a PPL, Night qualification and around 177 hours total time. I would like to go commercial but feeling a bit stuck and unsure if its a dream or reality at 32. I need to complete the ATPL theory still so this would be the next step, I just want to make sure the funds are in place for the CPL and IR etc. I have a supportive wife and children and they want me to go for it. It all seems overwhelming now and I am wondering if its too late to go for it. I cant really explain the feeling but it makes me feel down wondering if that dream job is slipping away.I have never set a goal on aircraft type or dream airline I just want to fly for a career and keep an open mind with any opportunities. I think I just need that shove to make the jump and go for it. Can anyone offer me some words of wisdom and advice?
Do it do it do it! I can imagine how excited your wife and kids are. That's all the support you need. 32 is young. I'm about to turn 26, get my Class 1 and then start my PPL. The aim is to get into an airliner cockpit like you. First of all the best advice I can give you is if you don't yet have your Class 1, get it immediately. It'll be your biggest hurdle if you already have (or will gradually get) the funds you need.

Theory is not easy but it's not rocket science at the same time. Hundreds of thousands of people have done it, and they're not all smarter or more hardworking than you are surely? If you put your head down and read/study, you'll be fine.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about age, difficulty, support, etc. I would just make sure that I'm ready for the sacrifices that come with a career like this, i.e. the lack of a high salary (at least to start with), potentially moving around my family, etc. If you and your family have considered this and are happy with it, GO FOR IT!