PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apprentice Technician killed in Spicejet D8 gear doors
Old 11th Jul 2019, 12:57
Typhoon Surfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the European legacy carrier that I worked at for 30 years there was a strict 'no touch' policy taught to us pilots from day one. Meaning, it was impressed very strongly on us that if we arrived in the cockpit to find anything hydraulic 'out of place' we were not to touch it before checking with the engineer. It's basic common sense. The power of these systems is huge, and not only gear doors have killed before, but flaps and spoilers too. Likewise if a ground run was needed on any hydraulically powered equipment it was strictly the job of engineering to carry out the pressurisation procedure (co-ordinated from the cockpit with their groundcrew colleague on the headset, giving the all clear).

On leaving my old company I went to work in the Far East, and I was gobsmacked at how flippant they were about messing with the hydraulics on the ground. Not only did they expect pilots to make config changes on the ground to facilitate bolshy refuellers, but they had no laid down procedure, and no engineering support for us.
One Captain was brave enough to refuse to do it, which caused a delay. He was grounded on his return to base, and then hauled up before a 'Technical Review Board' who grilled him for his 'obstructionism' and gave him a written warning to 'use his initiative' in future.

I'm quite sure that if any pilot had used his initiative and injured someone they'd have been damn quick to blame him for acting contrary to company policy! They put nothing in writing.
Cowardly scum that they are.

Whatever the actual details of this accident, you know there's money at the bottom of it all. Safety be damned.
May the young man rest in peace.