PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 11th Jul 2019, 01:55
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Thanks JT and PJ
I continue to wonder how to certify a modern plane according to column/stick force as AoA increases, especially just before the stall AoA. I am looking for a plane in service besides some old Gooney Birds and floatplanes and critters of that ilk that have only cables, pushrods and such with absolutely no commands to the flight control surfaces from HAL or STS or anything but pure "manual" connections. Oh yeah, no "artificial feel".

Somehow the Airbus 320 and following are certified and those suckers have zero feel as the plane approaches a high AoA or low AoA or any damned AoA. The sticks provide no feedback to the pilot WRT control surface deflection or aero forces, nor any trim requirement if speed is changed, nor ........ "there must be fifty ways"

So my main question is why did FAA squawk about the column force? I have not seen a technical description of a commercial airliner built after 1950 that did not have some kinda "artificial feel" add-on to the ropes, levers, pulleys and tubes. Prolly 99% of every military "light" since 1950 had zero direct mechanical feedback from the control surfaces.

So how did the latest bus get certified, but the 737 had to add the MCAS?

My point from day one has been that MCAS was "sold" in order to compensate for poor basic aerodynamic characteristics that reduced the plane's pitch stability. So fix the aero and not implement a kludge hybrid system without informing all the pilots and maybe doing a better fault tree analysis of such syterm.

Gums still ponders....