PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet A320 and KLM B737 collide at Schiphol
Old 10th Jul 2019, 16:06
Maninthebar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
Yes the controller issued a clearance, however, the clearance does not constitute an instruction to push back. 'Same as "you're cleared for takeoff" is a clearance, not an instruction. ATC does not say to a pilot: "takeoff now". It is up to the pilot to determine that it is safe to takeoff, and begin when he/she is ready, and has a clearance. I can't see how it's different for a tug driver - "you're cleared to push back [when it safe to do so]" - if the tug driver chooses to wait to not run over a ramp hand, or wait for a baggage cart to be moved, or another jet to be out of the way, the tug driver is doing his job properly.
I can see that. However, I would expect the tug driver is trained to expect that the clearance to push back reflects the Controller's monitoring of objects that s/he is aware of i.e (principally) other airframes.

The tug driver will be responsible for the safety of the action vis a vis objects unknown to the Controller, as you say, but the prime control over aircraft movements sits with Ground Operations no?