PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pension 2020
Thread: Pension 2020
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2019, 14:40
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Countdown begins
Could really do with an FPS advisor stepping in to clarify this. It’s definitely fact about a new scheme, a full-on contributory scheme is coming, but agree with others that it will move right, but by how far?
Could it be part of the new joiner package, basic paint without X factor until you deploy? There is a team at Wycombe investigating all of this, but they’re more secretive than Secret Squirrel!
Ah, now you are making a wee bit more sense. There has been work on the New Joiner Offer which was expected for 2020. However, it has all been shelved and rolled into another study - I think that decision was made about this time last year.

This is what NJO was going to be all about:

Why are we developing a New Joiner Offer?
The current offer is failing to attract sufficient numbers of the people defence needs and has remained broadly similar for many years. Research now shows that the next generation has different expectations of what they want from a career, with a greater focus on variety, choice and flexibility of employment. We need a new offer that has the flexibility to respond to future societal changes or the armed forces offer will become increasingly out of step with the employment expectations of our recruits.

At the same time the cost of the current offer continues to rise. The gradual reduction of the armed forces has kept personnel costs stable, but further reductions to the size of the services are not an option. If we do nothing the next 10 years will see defence facing a significant deficit in personnel costs. Defence must live within its means and the New Joiner Offer must achieve savings, but it must also attract and retain the people we need.

When will it be implemented?
The aim is for the New Joiner Offer to be available from 2020.

Who will it apply to?
The New Joiner Offer is intended for new entrants who join the services from 2020.
So there is still no plan for an AFPS20, I am 100% sure of that. I would be really surprised if there were any changes for at least another 10 years.