PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2019, 12:29
2unlimited

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Airlinepilot1687
I am 32 with a PPL, Night qualification and around 177 hours total time. I would like to go commercial but feeling a bit stuck and unsure if its a dream or reality at 32. I need to complete the ATPL theory still so this would be the next step, I just want to make sure the funds are in place for the CPL and IR etc. I have a supportive wife and children and they want me to go for it. It all seems overwhelming now and I am wondering if its too late to go for it. I cant really explain the feeling but it makes me feel down wondering if that dream job is slipping away.I have never set a goal on aircraft type or dream airline I just want to fly for a career and keep an open mind with any opportunities. I think I just need that shove to make the jump and go for it. Can anyone offer me some words of wisdom and advice?
At 32 its not to late, so that's the easy part.
Wife, Children, Money etc. that's the hard part always.

This is brutal and honest, in your circumstances you need to know what you are going into. Besides the money:
1. Do you have a backup plan if you don't get work straight away?
2. Can you survive while looking for work, do you have other "safe" income source that will cover you and your family?
3. Are you willing to re-locate to find work, and with this not just within the UK, but anywhere in Europe? You are not likely to find your first job on your doorstep.
(either commuting, being away for long stretches and being home few days, or move with entire family?)
4. Can you live / survive on a pilots salary? (£1700 - £2200 a month for 4 - 5 years?)
(does your wife have extra income, do you have any extra income or can you manage on this)

It does get better after a while, but at least 3 years before you will see improvements, and most likely 4 - 5 to be honest. Because your first job will probably not be a place you want to stay for long, if you have to commute or move somewhere you don't like, so when you have experience and swap jobs, you start again at the bottom with many companies.

Feel free to PM if you want more specific advice.
It does depend on your circumstances, and it's not impossible, and you are definitely not to old, just go into with your eyes wide open. I know guys much older than you, and they made it. However if I was you I would get on to it now rather sooner than later.