PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPL to PPL via RA-Aus?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2019, 02:59
Cloudee

Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Brenchen
Greetings!

I am currently doing my RPL (plan to get it by Xmas this year) in a C152 at YBAF. Thinking ahead, the cost will be much greater than now when I start to progress onto PPL. I am exploring pathways to try to cut down on the cost and eventually still reach PPL, and I am considering to convert my RPL to an RPC with x-country endorsement (or any others that can be recognised/contribute towards PPL).

My question is, if I convert my RPL to RPC to cover as much PPL-syllabus contents on an RA-Aus aircraft, and only use a GA aircraft to cover the materials that I can't with RA-Aus, when the time comes I'll do a conversion flight to PPL:
  1. Will it be more cost effective that way?
  2. How does the RA-Aus hours count towards GA hours?
  3. Or is it more cost effective to just plot along in GA?
Thanks in advance
Brendan
You will have an RPL by the end of the year, All you have to do to get a PPL is the theory exam and then to the nav and airspace training followed by the flight test. You can stay in the 152. You may have been able to save a few dollars if you started in RAAus and then converted that to an RPL but you haven't done that so stick with the 152. Once you have your PPL maybe get an RAAus licence if you can find a significantly cheaper aircraft, and build hours on that towards CPL. We've had students who have used RAAus to get 100 of the 200 hours required for CPL.