PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 9th Jul 2019, 20:24
Tomaski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mostly a lurker, but I saw some discussion about the lack of detail to the write-ups by the Lion Air crew (the first one that didn’t crash), and I thought I would add my 2 cents as someone who has been there. It might have been very helpful and possibly saved all those lives if more information was included, but maybe not. I don’t know how Lion Air does it, but there are times when I talk to a mechanic about what I saw and then make an entry and there are times that I make the entry, leave the logbook in the aircraft, and go on to my next flight. This kind of malfunction strikes me as the types where a whole team of mechanics would have met the aircraft and the pilots would have thoroughly debriefed what they saw. In that case, they may have not actually written every detail down in the logbook because that just told the guy who is going to work on the plane. Been there done that. On a more concerning side, sometimes I’ve been told that if you write it up like this, then we have to do X, but if you write it up like this other way, then we have to do Y, where X is a whole lot more work. Not saying that’s the case here, but it happens. Regardless, it looks like the maintenance did all the things that one would expect they should do given that the problem was a bad AOA vane in the first place. Very odd that there were 2 back to back AOA failures.

While I’m here, I’d like to say that like a few other posters I was really bothered by how some people were ganging up on Yoko1. Yes, he came across as a bit strident at times but he seemed to know his stuff and had access to information and history that I haven’t seen anywhere else. I saw a number of folks trying to label him as a racist for the mere fact that the accident pilots weren’t “western” whatever that means. Ive heard it said that you can’t choose your family and likewise you cant’ chose in advance whose day it is to be handed a broken jet. He’s right that pilot training isn’t what it used to be and maybe that will change and maybe it won’t. The 737 came of age when there was a different mentality toward what was expected of a pilot and while that philosophy is still baked into the design, the world has changed around it. Yoko hasn’t posted for a couple of days, so maybe he’s gone. I would count that as a loss.