PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CG and spins
Thread: CG and spins
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2019, 18:47
moorea21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, Shy Torque, you were in an inverted spin, rather than just inverted? So pulling back on the stick while in an inverted spin would be the same idea as pushing the stick forward in a non inverted spin, yes?

G:- My objections to 2 strokes are really just noise and fuel burn. The Shadow CD seems the best to me too; narrower cockpit etc so more air for the prop, longer wings than some of the others, so slower stall and better glide angle. If the little rotax is actually a good engine, all the better. I'm encouraged by your opinion of the 503; all 2 stroke engines in any form are a mystery to me, I just remember being drenched in fuel by a seagull outboard in a rubber dingy years ago;- my only experience with 2 strokes, besides falling off the back of a GT750 in my teens.

A hangar would be obligatory at my local field, and I'm up for learning new maintenance skills. Plus a long standing member of the local club has owned one for many years, and loves it.

You mentioned the CFM's being fragile; one option for me to learn to fly is to buy one, and get the local instructor to teach me on it. He flies flexwings and 3 axis, but currently only owns a flex wing. Not sure if that level of financial commitment is quite called for; what if I decide to quit and want to sell it? Are they easy to sell, or do they 'stay on the shelf' for years?

Would you say the shadow is a good option for a novice student pilot to learn on? Or would the fragility be an issue?

Thanks for tolerating me veering off topic, let me know if I should just start a new thread....