PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Area frequencies and boundaries
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2003, 14:47
Transition Layer

Received 88 Likes on 34 Posts
I still haven't made up my mind on the new system, so I won't be expressing an opinion as yet, but I will put forward this scenario, based on a real-life event (one of many) I experienced and subsequently resolved because of the use transmissions on the area frequency.

The setting is NW WA, late afternoon, VMC exists but visibility slightly reduced due smoke haze. Two VFR aircraft - aircraft "A" a single with a TAS of around 150kts, tracking roughly 200 degrees, maintaining 6500'. The other aircraft "B" a twin with a TAS of 175kts is tracking approximately 260 degrees (i.e. looking into the sun), climbing to 8500 having departed from an ALA/Multicom some 20nm to the East of aircraft "A"s track.

Aircraft "A" is monitoring the local area frequency, and only has one VHF comm and one HF. Aircraft "B" has two VHF comm radios plus HF, and gives all necessary calls on the Multicom frequency, advising tracking details and altitude on climb to. Aircraft "B" then makes an "All-stations" broadcast on the area frequency when approximately 10nm from departure aerodrome, advising positon, altitiude and tracking details. Aircraft "A" hears this, and advises "B" of their position, altitude and tracking details. Aircraft "B" makes the decision to level the climb at 5500' until they are visually clear. Aircraft "A" acknowledges.

Aircraft "B" sights and passes directly under "A" by 1000', and acknowledges so, then continues climb to 8500'.

The pilot of Aircraft "B" sees the pilot of "A" the next day at another airfield and comments that he did not have "A" visual until the very last moment because of haze/sun, despite being aware of "A"s approximate position and positively looking for traffic in the area.

Is this not good airmanship? It blocks the area frequency for probably a total of 15 secs at the very most. The aircraft were obviously on conflicting tracks and passed directly under each other.

With NAS, would this exchange have taken place on 123.45 or some other frequency?

Thoughts/comments?

TL