Thread: CG and spins
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2019, 16:16
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 435 Likes on 229 Posts
Genghis,

I have experienced the opposite problem. Asa 17 year old I flew a C150 which had come back from heavy maintenance after a landing accident and had been previously noted to markedly drop a wing on entry to the stall. It was my pre-FHT during my RAF Flying Scholarship course and we were required to enter and recover from a fully developed spin, which was still in the 35 hour PPL course back then. As far as I can recall, I entered the spin as per the book but the aircraft rolled very rapidly in the pro-spin direction. Something very strange then occurred and my instructor looked across at me and asked if I noticed anything unusual. I replied that we were upside down!

He agreed and asked me how I intended to recover. I said "I think I need to pull back on the stick!"

He nodded. I did so and the aircraft recovered quite quickly with opposite rudder, but at some stage the engine stopped. It restarted on the key. My instructor then said "Let's go back to the circuit and recover our composure". We did. I passed my FHT on the next trip. I don't know what subsequently happened to the aircraft but I think the wing rigging was found to be somewhat awry, hence the wing drop. Strangely, as a relatively ignorant young pilot, it didn't phase me nearly as much as it had done my instructor.