PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 9th Jul 2019, 10:51
GXER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maninthebar
GXER - I suggest that if you have not already done so you read the very good post by XYZjim in another thread. It tackles the origins and constraints on pilot training.

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...l#post10513250

I tend to agree that yoko1's posts have value at the very least in the form of Socratic dialogue without which we would not have teased out many of the subtelties.

However, my own view is that s/he has been far too easily drawn into a position of giving an equivalence to pilot training and/or skill versus design, manufacture and rollout issues in the causes for the two accidents.
Thanks. I have read it and I agree - the issue lies with the regulators.

There are several indicators that to me represent clear signs that air travel is ‘incorrectly’ priced: it ought not be (but generally is) cheaper to fly from (say) London to Edinburgh than take a train; it ought not be (but I believe it is) cheaper to employ a fully certified FO for passenger transport than it is to employ a train driver (overground or tube).

The regulators ought to fix this by setting minimum standards. It looks like the CAA (at least) knows there is a problem - the question is whether there is the political will to grasp the nettle of weaning the flying public off the expectation of ‘cheaper than chips’ air travel.