PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft crash Leigh Creek
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2019, 06:16
mcoates

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Folks,
I would add: The Brumby model in question is one of the most thoroughly tested small aircraft around today ---- anywhere ---- regardless of its nominal design/certification category.
Test flying, in the hands of a highly respected and experienced REAL test pilot went well beyond the minimum requirements of an LSA, indeed well beyond the minimum requirements of FAR 23.
Or, put another way, if I was a buyer for an LSA ---- that would be my choice, based on a detailed engineering/aerodynamic assessment.
Tootle pip!!

It's all about documentation and certification, many manufacturers make these claims but very few have the certification paperwork to back up the claims.

The aircraft is an LSA and therefore it is approved upon a statement of compliance from the manufacturer.

Very few LSA aircraft manufacturers have ever been audited by a national CAA to the FAA standard.

How do I know this ? because I went through a two-week FAA audit to validate the FAA form 8130 – 15 which is the US certification statement from the manufacturer.

Knowing what goes into these audits I doubt anyone in Australia has seen anything close to this level of interrogation and validation.

Now, despite the claims above, (which are made by a person who is passionate about a particular manufacturer) if the aircraft has exceeded all of these requirements then it would be appropriate to have it certified in a higher category as well as LSA because it would increase sales. I

t really does annoy me that some people make all of these claims about some aircraft, a classic was XYZ aircraft who for years said "ours is the safest aircraft in the sky because despite all the crashes we have never had a fatality"..... say what ?

Nothing can replace full certification, an LSA manufacturer can get away with whatever it wants until it comes time for an audit and then they have to validate their statement of compliance. If they can't validate their statement of compliance then the aircraft get taken down to a lesser category like amateur built.

Most of the LSA manufacturers do a great job, they are responsible and passionate about what they are doing but there are some (I am referring outside of Australia in this case) that don't have a clue and I just selling what they can, while they can.