PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2019, 01:09
cyflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I assume this is your man
Indeed it is, and as someone else mentioned, the crew were Kaj Hoyer (Danish), Edward Martin, Ernest Shepard, James Alfred Knight. Would like to trace any of their families. The family of Charalambous I have visited in Cyprus. Longer ron , that Cyprus Weekly article of many years ago, I have it.
So much useful info from all of you, so many thanks.
That Acting Sergent Unpaid makes sense now, as it was only for a month or so.

Given his age when he died - it is possible he was a pre war pilot and he was employed as a Flying Instructor in 1941,which would explain his photo with 'Wings'
No, I don't think he was a pre war pilot, his family would have known and told me, according to them he was studying at Cambridge (not proven, vague information passed on from family members), before joining up. If he joined 9 EFTS (at Ansty near Coventry) on 15 July 1941, the courses would have been about 6 weeks, so makes sense that by 31 August 1941 he would have been awarded his wings. What doesn't make sense is why he went to Aircrew Dispatch Wing the following year in August 1942. What was he doing meanwhile for a year? If pilots are to be instructors, they have to go to SFTS first, I believe, not carry on at EFTS, I could be wrong.

Chugalug2, that ground units list is amazing, I visit the Archives and have pulled many AIR29 files but have to check against your list. Generally I have found that those AIR 29 units ORBS contain very little info. More to follow.....