PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CG and spins
Thread: CG and spins
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2019, 00:31
john_tullamarine

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
This is certainly not an answer you should give an aspiring private pilot.

(Personal view, only)

Well, yes, and no.

One of the problems in this Industry is that pilots, in general, are trained to comparatively low levels of technical understanding. That's fine, so far as it goes as, the pilot's main thrust is to fly it rather than build, test and certify it. Unfortunately, the philosophy serves to encourage/perpetuate knowledge mediocrity, especially over recent decades where the whole thing at Industry training level has been dumbed down, in part due to cost minimisation desires.

Like many here, I know who G is and his background. One would expect that techo advice he gives will be both technically accurate and operationally pertinent. We are fortunate that we have a cadre of such folk in the PPRuNe sandpit for just those reasons.

Its just meaningless gobblygook to them without any point of reference they can latch on to.

So, yes, the pilot might be able to get away with minimal knowledge for the great majority of routine operations and history supports such a view. It certainly follows that there is an effort involved and required to improve one's knowledge level.

The instructor needs to teach to the level of the student

Might I suggest, with respect, that a more useful statement might be along the lines of "to teach to the present level of understanding held by the student with a view to improving that level of understanding" ?

Might I suggest that sound basic knowledge is valuable in its own right (we don't all need to have the PhD level of knowledge and understanding) ? There is nothing stopping the motivated listener/reader from either asking for additional explanation or going off and doing a little personal research to find out a bit more about the discussion. While, for folks who have no background, it might take a few hours to locate and read up on the basics, there is nothing in his post which is not readily amenable to research via the net - one of the most valuable consequences of the net's development, in my view.

A suitable level of basic understanding doesn't require the maths which goes along with the subject. Just the basic results and ideas are the main value for the typical pilot.