PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Like or dislike the B777 ?!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2003, 08:53
RRAAMJET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Bonjour, Monsieur,

I fly the 777 for a US Major, and have flown a wide variety of types to compare it to, inc. the 747-400, 767-300 and L-1011.

In general, I find the aircraft excellent, both in build quality and flying qualities. It is also extremely reliable (RR Trent-800's on ours), and the pax and (very importantly) the cabin crew love it. A happy crew is more likely to lead to happy pax...

Things I particularly like:
1. The fly-by-wire flight control system responsiveness and feel
2. the power to wt ratio at most weights
3. cockpit displays very logical and follow-on from -400
4. cockpit lighting (vastly improved over 767 & 757)
5. incredible fuel efficiency

Things I particularly dislike:
1. The trim system (1 sec. blip = 10kts speed increment datum target, making it tough to trim to that "sweet-spot" you get on conventional flight controls - needlessly complex)
2. The mouse pad is a pain - it's too sensitive
3. The flightdeck seems very cramped with 4 crew, unlike the 747. Not enough bag stowage.
4. The bunk room is cr@p compared to the -400
5. The visibility could be better - the TriStar was much better - I think Boeing tried to re-use the 767 windows to save development costs
6. The engines don't sync very well and can't be manually "tweaked" like other fadecs. If you're a pax near the wing you can get your drinks shaken-not-stirred all night...

Just my opinions....
I'm being fussy trying to reply to your thread, but overall the 777 is queen of the skies right now...