PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 8th Jul 2019, 15:16
Maninthebar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yoko1

Singing my song here.

I haven’t had a Runaway Stab Training drill in the sim in ages, though I suspect that will change soon. I willing to be the accident crews had similar experiences. There are a whole plethora of things that we no longer train for largely driven by the desire to keep training costs to an absolute minimum. This year it shows up as an ineffective response to MCAS. It also showed up this year in the SJ-100 accident as a lack of familiarity of alternate law flight control properties. In previous years, it was an ineffective response to loss of airspeed. Sometime in the next few, it will show up as something else.

That is reasonable in itself. I would add two observations:

1. This phenomenon is not limited to pilots from any particular system, on your account and supported by the UK CAA Notice
2. Irrespective of the lack of general training for Runaway Stab Trim or other unusual flight conditions, the unexpected activation of MCAS, and possible crew responses were UNTRAINABLE prior to either accident, and remain so (so far as we are aware)

You have asserted that false MCAS activation should be detected by crew as an instance of Runaway Stab Trim in a straightforward way. Others disagree.