PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 8th Jul 2019, 14:10
Lonewolf_50

Received 404 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by yoko1
And so have I, but that is a very different situation when the Captain/Aircraft Commander deems it is necessary to intervene. In the JT601 event, we are talking about a situation when the Captain voluntarily and with intent hands off the controls to his First Officer. If someone wishes to argue that the Captain gave his First Officer a handful of out-of-trim aircraft, I’m just going to have to point out that this would have been another crew error - which works against the narrative that there were no significant crew errors that led to the loss of control. You can’t have it both ways.
*i really shold just lurk ...*
Yes, that would most likely be outside of what the Captain's training and normal behaviors would be. (The second part).
That the crew seemed to be having difficulty in parsing just what the heck was wrong, fundamentally, points back to the training put into place by their company, and by the manufacturer -- and also what training wasn't put into place. (And perhaps compounding this issue, that their company did not buy the "option" that included the AoA miscompare alert? hard to say. Would that indication have given the Captain the "aha" he needed to better sort out the situation? Unknown)

@PJ2: Evening, sir. Thanks for that link. Interesting stuff.