PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uber Air
Thread: Uber Air
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2019, 10:06
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bend alot
It will not use the current system, and they will not use helicopters (can people get this - they will not use helicopters! so stop the comparison) - I will give a comparison to the helicopter and the new craft in differences. Telephone in a public phone bow vs mobile/cell phone, one works takes lots of coins but is not very practical - the other is convenient does other stuff and I do not even pay for most of the calls.
I get that they will not use helicopters. Your phone comparison is flawed. There is a significant technological difference between a coin phone and a mobile phone.

However no one so far has said what significant technological changes are going to be employed to make these new flying machines work in a practical sense and work at an affordable price.

Simple physics tells use it take X energy to lift Y weight. The same amount of air has to be shifted no matter whether you use electric motors or any other motive force. Once you start to combine all the systems needed to support the safe and reliable operation of such a machine you start to accumulate a significant cost. We haven't even started talking about the issues surrounding where these machines will take off and land. Think noise, down draft, safety of people on the ground etc.

I have no doubt it is possible to make such a device that is certified to carry passengers, but it won't be at a price the man in the street can afford nor will it be a practical transport solution for most people. It will be an unsustainable business model.

I use the helicopter as a current example of why I don't think this Uber style flying machine will work because the helicopter is something that is available, ready to use right now that most closely reflects the device Uber wish to use. There is no demand now. What significant change are these new machines going to bring about that will create the demand for their use?

I'd love to be educated as to how you think this is all going to work.