PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worldwide pilot experience too low?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2019, 02:28
421dog

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
Yes.

As an owner of a C150, with more than 3000 hours flying it, I was getting complacent. So I went for my helicopter license. I knew a lot about being in the sky already, but those first few solo flights in the helicopter reminded me - it's all me, no one here to fix it if I get it wrong, I am solely responsible for everything which will make this flight safe. The basic fear of getting it wrong makes one a better pilot, that fear over and over makes one better yet, even if those decisions are made while flying a lowly C150! Sure, experience should be had on multiple types, as many as possible, in varying circumstances, I'm not advocating 1000 hour in the circuit in a C150. But, hours of mundane experience flying something, solo, for real, where your decisions have absolute meaning, and you learn from the fear of the real risk of getting it wrong. Then.... you're ready to be a crew member.
Also as the (incidental) owner of a c-150 (as well as a 421 and a few others with (substantially more) than 3k hrs flying them all for fun and (primarily) lucre,
I would posit that 1000 hrs of flying, not when it’s mundane, but when your butt and the freight in the back, rather than a plane full of pax is on the line, (especially in the upper Midwest in the 9 mos that don’t resemble Embry-Riddle weather) would result in a better ultimate pilot.

Last edited by 421dog; 8th Jul 2019 at 02:38.