PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 8th Jul 2019, 01:53
Honestflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EASA or FAA PPL training

Hi guys,
I have been researching online for a long time now regarding taking up PPL training, due to work annual leave constraints, I have decided the best course of action for me would be to take up a 'fast track' program later this year or early next year. Having done plenty of reading online I have decided that the best place for this would be in the US. I have a couple of questions in regards to this, and I know it may have been asked many times before on these forums, but I decided to join the PPRune community knowing that there will be plenty of honest, accurate knowledge and answers to help and guide me along.
Just to note, I am Irish and currently reside in Ireland, it would be my ultimate goal to fly for an airline based in Europe.
1. FAA or EASA PPL, which ultimately would be more sensible, hour building and value wise?
2.with a view to go professional and achieve CPL level sometime after completion of the PPL, would it be wise to take up the FAA licence, which I believe has additional night flying privileges, and build hours whilst achieving instrument rating?
3. I have read that once 100 hours TT has been reached it is Possible to convert the license including IFR to EASA, is this true? Is it a costly Process?The same rule across all EASA members states or it depends?
4. There is some schools in the US that teach the EASA PPL course,and at a bit of a premium too. but is there any point to travel all the way to the states to do this, rather than do it in the EU somewhere, when the FAA licence is taught pretty much everywhere of course in the US?
5. Recommendations for schools? I've researched a few, but any lessor known ones with a good reputation anywhere in the US would be appreciated.

I have so many thoughts and questions in regards to this training, it's easy to be overwhelmed by the amount of info online, I just wish to clarify some of these issues before I take the plunge, and commit to any training. Any help at all would be great.

Thank you