PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2019, 23:52
cyflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Firstly, thanks for all the replies, I am grateful for your input.
Out Of Trim, indeed it was, he was the pilot of Wellington X, KIA on that date 13/7/1944, out of Foggia Main. His name was Charalambous, he was Cypriot. I am researching a small handful of Cypriots that served with Bomber Command, and he was the only pilot.
Chugalug2, thanks for the kind words, i don't think the 'Armament Support Unit' can be correct, this is a rank and there's no such Armament Support Unit then as far as I know. T Sarg, I have never seen in any RAF reference book a reference to such a rank, do you think that could be F/Sargent ? and its written in a strange way ? There should be a course on how to decipher some these people's handwriting ! No1 BPD, you may well be correct, that would make sense, based in Algeria, that would be the logical stepping/route to Foggia when ferrying crews and aircraft, well done. The way they abbreviate 'training', notice it is written 'Tring' every time, the i is always dotted, in that 'supy' does it look like an i, which would be 'supig', which would be short for ??? So what do think ' 'Ferry training: on c/a to 311 FTU' means, c/a... ? Phew, service records give more questions than answers.

longer ron, here is the earlier movements, it doesn't look like he started with a different trade, most of it seems to make sense, even though I cannot understand why he was almost a year at EFTS when it should only be about 10 weeks, when apparently he had his 'wings' by the end of August 1941. There was a photo of him in a local english newspaper on 31st August 1941, and he has Sgt stripes and his wings.