PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recruit and Train or Pay Bonuses and Retain?
Old 7th Jul 2019, 07:32
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The front line have the spreadsheets, it’s openly and widely known that since the AFPS15 deal, it’s quite frankly pointless sticking much past ROS if you can get a longhaul job in the industry. 750k differential last time I looked, and that was assuming service to 38 with a partial 75 pension. The figures would be even more distorted with the change to 15.

Which is is exactly what lots of second tourists are doing right now. Headed off to fly 777, 787 and soon A350, typically picking up a massive pay rise (60+ basic), 23k of downroute Non audited and tax discounted allowances helps too, certainly for eating decent food downroute. The view has changed significantly now from ‘one year to pension’ to now ‘every year I delay is a years less airline captain pay at the end’.

The pay rises the mob have offered in the past 10 years are derisory. May want to look across the fence at 12%+ 3 year pay deals in Industry. So whilst the current pay is poor to okayish for the skill set required, who wants to stick around to have their purchasing power further undermined with further below inflation pay rises and a management chain that’s too interested in the next rung than fighting the fight with treasury for decent pay?

MoD management need to wake up. The NHS and airlines pay frontline professionals far more than their management chain due to the marketability of their skill sets. Imho an FRI would need to be upwards of 350-400k NET to justify staying. Why would you stick around for a 20k FRI when you can earn double that by leaving and drawing your pension?

Oh the worst hotel I’ve stayed in was significantly better in terms of quality and location than ever experienced in the mob. All are in a decent location and all fully support the job, in terms of quality and downroute lifestyle (viewed as part of the package) Without having to watch my line management tear their hair out defending the line from some nutter 3* throwing his teddies out of the cot about hotac cost (the clown missed that on base serco cost more) and why we aren’t all down on base next to one of the biggest modern global cities living in substandard portakabins, jet noise and no 24 hour feeder. Then watch as the unit productivity collapses due to fatigue. Truly inspirational.

Last edited by VinRouge; 7th Jul 2019 at 11:03.