PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 7th Jul 2019, 04:17
FrequentSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wonkazoo
Once again I have to respectfully state that you are (to use your own vernacular) barking up the wrong tree in your quest to pin this on the crew.

I'll post the FDR traces link at the end of this post.

At the moment that the PF handed off control of LT610, MCAS was in the MIDDLE of an 11-second run. At the beginning of the hand-off the trim was at roughly 5.2 units, but during the transition to the copilot it dropped to just over three units. Thus the contention that the copiilot took a controllable airplane and screwed it into the ground is just blatantly false.

The resultant of that handoff in mid-MCAS deployment was:

1. The co-pilot's stick forces immediately shot off the charts as he took control of a quickly increasing out-of-trim aircraft and tried to hold the nose up.
2. A (relatively) high negative-G bunt as he took control of a rapidly nose-down trimming airplane.
3. Airspeed began to increase rapidly, increasing stick forces accordingly. (Hmmmm... Where have we seen that phenomenon recently??)
4. Altitude began to decrease rapidly, increasing airspeed, stress, control forces etc.

MCAS continued to make inputs over the remaining 45 seconds or so of the flight yet he made not less than 7 attempts to trim against MCAS inputs, which eventually drove the trim all the way down to nearly zero units. (And which fact blows your entire "he did nuthin'" argument out of the water...) He did something, it just wasn't enough against quickly upsloping stick forces, negative G, increasing airspeed and MCAS "helping" out every five seconds

I wish I could find a way to express well how inappropriate it is to blame the crew for this boondoggle. Placing the blame at the foot of the copilot (and wrapping it in the fig leaves of "training issues") is cruel and pointless and speaks to a moral and technical certitude which is ugly to see expressed anywhere, much less somewhere like PPRuNE, which is (mostly) an outlier of good taste and moderation in an increasingly bananas world. .

Please for the love of god let go of this inane and offensive argument!!

Regards-
dce

https://leehamnews.com/wp-content/up...parameters.png
you got it!
stop blaming those guys that lost their lives in trying to fly a plane with deaign flaws... and focus on how to fix those design mistakes.. yoko1 i have asked to you a few days ago about your comment on not retracting flaps...and you ignored it... it is way to easy to blame some guys that tried their best to get out of a crap situation created by poor engineering...