PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic, no paper
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2019, 02:37
double_barrel

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever
My last IFR student was flying his very well equipped C210 when it occurred to me to ask how many moving map displays we had available; the answer was 7

MX200 MFD
Garmin 430
Garmin Aera 660 on control wheel
Foreflight on his i-pad and phone and Foreflight on my i-pad and phone

There were no paper charts........
That seems very reasonable! Presumably a paper chart is of limited use in the event of a failure of all electronics unless you have been keeping some kind of paper-based record of position/time, ideally on the chart itself? Otherwise you will have to make a best guess of your current position and immediately work-up a paper-based plan, How accurate and easy that is will depend on the length of the current leg, whether or not you know the last/next waypoints and can see them on your chart, whether you have bothered to keep an eye on actual wind drift or just followed the magenta line and a few other variables.

On boats 'best practice' is to keep a running plot on a paper chart at intervals ranging from twice a day to twice a minute depending on where you are. But I suspect few do that any more; although it does help to keep a view of 'the big picture'. Yachtmaster candidates are expected to use plotters and any other whizzy kit on the boat, but be able to seamlessly switch to paper when the examiner turns them off, which of course everyone knows will happen, and at a very inconvenient moment!