PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 6th Jul 2019, 23:41
MemberBerry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MurphyWasRight
BTW: In much of the aviation world (outside USA) "engineer" refers to an aircraft mechanic, not someone who designs airplanes, not sure if this could have influenced your statement re providing information to Boeing Engineering.
In my initial post I actually called them "technicians", and I thought it was obvious from the context what that meant. What I actually meant was "aircraft mechanic". Sorry about that. In the following post I realized it may have generated confusion, and I started calling them "engineers", like the Lion Air preliminary report does. In my defense, I live in a country where we call, for example, "car mechanics" "service technicians", which seems to be a more appropriate name, since more and more of the issues in modern cars (and aircraft) are actually electrical, not mechanical.

Later edit:

That aside, I don't understand what is so controversial in my claim that the post-flight reports of the previous Lion Air crew were lacking. The preliminary report for the Lion Air accident suggests that as well in the "Safety Action" section:

"Lion Air [...] On 30 October 2018, issued information to all pilots which contained reminder to [...] Write on the AFML for any malfunctions that happened during the flight. Brief the engineer on duty comprehensively about the malfunction happened in flight. Please refer to Fault Reporting Manual (FRM) provided in the aircraft. Send report to Safety and Security Directorate through all reporting methods that available as soon as practicable."

"For Operation Directorate To instruct all B737 pilots to use the Fault Reporting Manual (FRM) in all their Aircraft Flight Maintenance Log (AFML) report. This measure shall be enforced by Operations, Training and Standard with immediate effect. To instruct all pilots to fill the AFML report with as much details as deem necessary to provide a full comprehensive description of the technical defect to the engineering team. This measure should be applied with immediate effect."

"For Maintenance Directorate [...] On 3 November 2018, the Chief Pilot issued Notice to Pilot which required all pilots to perform the following: Read and study the FRM (Fault Reporting Manual) and know how to utilize it. Any observed faults, status message, or cabin faults must be written down in the AFML, and ATA Number/Tittle of ECAM Shown (Fault) For A330. Should have any doubt, please contact the chief pilot or Quality Assurance Department via Mission Control (MC) – OM-A 8.6.8.  Do not hesitate to describe in details about the defect that has been encountered. This is a good practice especially for the engineers to do the troubleshooting and for the next crew that will fly the aircraft."

Last edited by MemberBerry; 7th Jul 2019 at 00:03.