PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK CAA bites the bullet on pilots pure flying skills
Old 6th Jul 2019, 22:50
lucille

Received 115 Likes on 60 Posts
As each iteration of airliner design takes to the skies, the capability of the automation systems increases thus negating the need for old school flying skills. It won’t be long before all the pilot has to do is taxi out to the holding point. Look to the modern UAVs for an insight into the future of airliners.
It won’t be long before the crew will only need to know how to steer the aircraft on the ground and handle the half dozen or so emergencies which require human intervention because the data comms may not be linked or compatible.

At the beginning of my career, I knew at the end of every flight that the safe, smooth and efficient outcome was solely due to the skills, training, diligence and knowledge of the crew.
In the last 5-10 years of my career, I had lost this feeling.There was no challenge, automation did everything better than I ever could. Navigation anywhere across the globe became doddle. Information was fresh and instantly available at any phase of flight. etc etc. My only challenge for the day was Coping with Fatigue and staying awake.

Extrapolate that line of technological “progress” a bit further and eventually the two humans at the front become almost redundant. Repurposed call centres in Mumbai will be controlling everything from take off to landing. 🙁