PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recruit and Train or Pay Bonuses and Retain?
Old 6th Jul 2019, 21:30
banterbus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heights good
FRIs always make me chuckle such as the latest offerings for WSOs to sign onto PA Spine. £20k (taxable) for 5yrs return of service!!!

£2k a year!!! Who on earth is going to sign that unless they were staying anyway? FRI should be IYSAFI - If You Are Staying Anyway Financial Incentive
Same for the pilots - although a different sum, and it's taxed. Works out at about £6k per year but with a 6 year RoS... albeit at that point for those on AFPS they may as well stay for another two for their 40/20 point, so it is really less money for longer service than advertised.

Like what was said above, the only people I know who have actually taken it are people that are staying in anyway. I also agree that it isn't about the money. Flying in the RAF could be by far the best job in the world, but it is completely ruined by a lot of what has already been said. These factors along with a task that is poorly prioritised, horrendous screw-drivering from above and a flight safety system that is becoming less open (due to the consequences of owning up to mistakes) leads to massive discontent. I also didn't turn up to the frontline as a pilot and expect to spend 10+ hours a week staring at Excel sorting the programme out as well as all the other rubbish we have to deal with!!