PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air UK Heralds and routes
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2019, 19:35
PV1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Harry Wayfarers
I joined Air UK in 1985 so some of this is from before my time but as I recall remembering.

BIA had bases at BLK, LGW (let it not be forgotten that their head office was in Redhill) and down south, think the base was SOU but with aircraft overnighting in CI, certainly for the GCI/LHR route.

Upon and after Air UK's start, the BIA takeover of Air Anglia reportedly to get some more favourable aircraft types, the IOM routes and BLK base were given up, Manx Airlines was supposedly set up by Air UK and BMA (BMI) but I recall that was simply Air UK handing the IOM routes to BMA on a plate.

The LGW base also went, until many years later when BAe146's were to operate a LGW/Scottish route or two, and apparently 'PV' was given the BAC1-11's as a wedding present for marrying in to the B&C Shipping family and told to go and play with those under a reincarnated BIA.

The HPR7's continued on the CI routes until whenever the one was flown in to Duxford by which time Air UK had acquired some stretched F27-500's specifically to operate some of the ex HPR7 CI routes, particularly the prime GCI/LHR route..
you are obviously quite an expert. I find your reference to me marrying into the B & C shipping family quite insulting. I never did, was already married when I joined BIA and we bought the 1-11’s and certainly did not play with them. You also denounce and denigrate the professionalism of those who joined us

Last edited by PV1; 7th Jul 2019 at 10:35.