PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NYC helicopter crash 10th June 2019
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2019, 18:10
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Folks....deal with facts please.

The flight was done in the USA and FAA Rules apply....not CAA Rules as apply in the UK.

Take a minute and google "US FAR Part 91, VFR Flight Rules"......read what it says.

Then google to find a VFR Sectional Map for the NYC area and study the airspace depictions for the intended flight.

That will give you a basis to begin discussing the "what if's" that pertain to this tragedy.

I have flown many a mile in ugly weather....VFR....in the USA and the UK and understand the Rules in both places.

Do you?

Would I have departed from the heliport as did this poor fellow....probably not due to the fact it was NYC alone.

Whenever I flew anywhere in that region....I tried to avoid places like NYC, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Boston....etc.

Matter of fact....I refuse to drive in those places unless it is to pass through on an Interstate Highway and then I carefully choose my route and time of travel or just don't go.

I did my minimum VFR flying (I am loathe to call it Rudscunning due to the visceral reaction from some. here who get all crazy to hear that term used.....).

What I did do was pick my time, place, route, and weather to do it in.

It can be done safely, legally, and without un-due risk to self or others....but you must be thinking about what you are doing...and have a Plan B...C...D.....before you light off the engine.

Plan B is upon encountering deteriorating or unforeseen weather conditions....is to land out or turn around and get back to better weather....which ever is safest and quickest.

Know your limits...and do not hesitate to say "No!" or knock it off when it gets down to your limits.

Speed is critical....visibility determines speed and height....always go slow enough to avoid obstacles and maintain solid contact with the ground.

If you find yourself getting nervous or anxious....you just passed your "limit".....and that means you delayed your decision too long.