PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2019, 10:37
RexBanner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Percula
Thanks for the info. A320 rated here patiently swimming since march.

​​​​​Sounds like some potential for an offer for LHR in that case. What are the pros and cons for each base for shorthaul? I live in central London so commuting time is similar for both bases.
Don’t take my words as gospel but the manpower situation would suggest that Airbus FOs are going to be needed sooner rather than later. Remember seeing that yammer post a couple of months ago now that start dates would not be issued over the summer but would recommence in the Autumn.

As far as the bases go I’m in a good position to comment as I did three years up the road in Heathrow and started at Gatwick in January. It depends what you’re after really, I came down to Gatwick for very specific reasons because I live in and commute from Jersey and was tired of trudging up and down the M25 prior to and after a block of work plus we nightstop in Jersey so, with my seniority here, am spending a lot more nights in my own bed nowadays.

Gatwick is hands down a friendlier and more welcoming base. The Eurofleet anti pilot agenda does not exist here so cabin crew do go out of their way to keep you fed and watered (has led to me putting on more than a few pounds though!) and actually start conversations with you. It’s amazing that something as trifling as that raised eyebrows in my first couple of weeks in Gatwick. The base is much smaller so it’s more of a community, you always see people you know and can say hello to in the FOB (briefing room).

The Captains are generally lovely to fly with and a bit more chilled out here than up the road, probably because they fly with guys with no experience all the time here so aren’t immediately on the defensive as soon as they see a two striper. It’s a more seasonal base so summers are manic and winters much quieter (although with reference to a previous post I didn’t experience that this winter due to the work that I bid for, Jersey nightstops which are all two day sixes with long links usually). As there’s only three nightstops time away from base is limited and therefore take home pay can be significantly lower than Heathrow where there are more nightstops and tours available.

Heathrow has JSS for bidding and Gatwick has Carmen. Carmen is a bit kinder to junior pilots so I gather, it tries to give at least some satisfaction to the junior guys and girls. It does have some serious flaws and limitations though and you have to get to know the ways to trick it into giving you what you what, but it will almost always be at the expense of something you want less. Life in a nutshell I guess!

So it really depends what you want. Gatwick only has three nightstops; JER, GLA & EDI (rumours of more coming possibly NAP and TFS but I’ll believe that when I see it). So if you want to be experiencing cities in Europe, nightstopping and earning better money go to Heathrow. You’ll have more nights in your own bed in Gatwick for sure.

Be aware though that reserve periods are much longer in LHR (21 days) and you’ll do them frequently for your first couple of years. The longest reserve period in Gatwick is 6 days. The flying in Gatwick can be a bit more challenging too if you like that as Heathrow is mainly ILS to ILS whereas there’s more destinations with non precision circling stuff in LGW, having said that a lot of them are now replaced by RNAV visuals with coded waypoints which is great for safety but has taken a lot of the fun and challenge out of it (I’m looking at you, Nice).

Best of luck with it whatever you decide and maybe see you on the line one day.