PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - India First week of monsoon
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2019, 20:03
bill fly

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It was fitted to our DC 10 as a mod. Crews were informed by a memo from the fleet TP, with recommendation to use light or medium but not full, until experience was gained and a feedback form had to be completed each time.

Next scene - pre landing in HKG dry RW and quite light - FE says Autobrake? Capt on check says Oh - er Better use light - Check Pilot says Try Full - FE says I have to fill a form and it says Reason for use - Check Pilot says Put Inquisitiveness.

The landing - Touch down followed by the most brutal retardation I have ever experienced before or since - talk about being thrown against the harness - IAS falls like a stone - Check Pilot shouts Disconnect - Captain on check shouts How? I (probably the only one who had read the memo) say, Brakes. Captain brakes and the ship feels as though released from a bow. We are now at about 30 knots and have to use Fwd thrust to reach the first exit...

Taxy in with red faces, left side anyway and hot brakes - Capt makes an announcement about a new bit of kit - not working properly, sorry etc.
All good useful experience for the first officer.

Last edited by bill fly; 6th Jul 2019 at 05:35.