PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 5th Jul 2019, 14:00
yoko1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt
How about this FAA pilot in the Boeing engineering cab ?
Does that count, or is it apples and oranges ?
You mean the pilots who were stress-testing new, non-flight certified software/firmware than was never used on the accident aircraft in such a way as to introduce intentionally failures to see if the new software was compatible with the old processors? Those pilots?

Isn't it that MAX incidents only occured on foreign airlines ?
Well, that was kind of my point. An appeal to not criticize a "foreign" airline is tantamount to a call to not criticize any of the airlines involved. Are you saying these organization should be above scrutiny because of their citizenship?

Should I also make the obvious point that from your perspective, Boeing is a "foreign" entity? It seems you have no problem criticizing "foreigners," so excuse me if I wonder of the lack of consistency here.

That said, I really dislike these attempts to derail this discussion with references to racism, xenophobia, exceptionalism or whatever. People are dead because certain organizations failed to dedicate resources to provide for a safe operating environment. Boeing was one of those organizations, but there are others.

What makes you so sure pilots from the "correct" side of the Pond would have fared better, should an MCAS event have happened on a non-foreign airline ?
I didn't say that at all, although there have been some notable cases of individuals saying just that. I don't agree with that view. Bad training can happen anywhere. Western countries have had their share of issues over the years, but in this particular case that is not where the chips fell.

I would recommend a stroll over to the "Loss of Control In-Flight - Flight Crew training" thread for some non-MAX related discussions regarding the state of flight crew training. That thread makes reference to a series of videos produced by American Airlines and narrated by Capt Warren Vanderburgh (they are available on YouTube). These lectures were created way back in 1997 by a major U.S. airline because even then issues of automation dependency and poor crew response to aircraft upsets were seen as a trending issue at that airline. Sadly, that trend is still alive and well.

Maybe it's my poor mastery of English (I'm a foreigner, as you may have noticed ;-), but your question sounds a bit well, weird.
"The incidents occured on foreign planes, proof that their pilots are poorly trained"
"No incidents occured on non-foreing planes ergo our pilots are better trained"
I can only point out that the words in the quotes are yours, not mine, and do not reflect my view.