PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind leg - how wide from the runway?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2019, 02:22
gchriste

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
it also depends on the climb rate as instructors won’t let the downwind turn start until 1000ft on crosswind. My guesstimate for the width is about 800 - 900m for a C172 from my time there.
Not true where I learnt my circuits. We were taught early to continue the climb in the turn to downwind and more often than not you find yourself patting your head and rubbing your stomach stopping the climb while finishing the turn. Don't tar all schools with the same brush.

Originally Posted by sheppey
Maybe - Maybe not. Assuming the instructor has the ability to first demonstrate to the student the correct width of the downwind leg along with required turning points, then the student has something to aim for. But if the instructor lets the student fly the circuit he feels comfortable with, then that is poor instruction because that could impact other users of the circuit. A learner driver would probably be happier driving down the middle of the road rather than keeping to the left. But most driving instructors wouldn't allow that to happen.
The majority of our circuit is over water so instruction was more aligned to the 45 degree angle back to the runway over you left or right shoulder. First turn at 500ft, turn to downwind 45 to the field, similar for turn to base. Seems to work out reasonably well. So even without turning points on the ground the instructors should be able to offer some form of guidance.