PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-3
Thread: Edinburgh-3
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2019, 13:33
GoEDI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
Not quite sure how a UNITED 767 works in EDI?
The B767-300ER fleet is being refurbished and re-deployed into key business markets, whereas the B757 was until recently, a reliable work horse with the range and right size of capacity. By way of comparison, DUB gets a B757 to IAD and ORD but EWR gets a high density domestic configured B772 with a domestic First rather than Polaris, as does MAD.
In summer peak, I suspect that's the way forward in EDI, however if that's too much capacity for the Scottish market, and B757 availability becomes a growing issue, then there is a way to manage that, and that's by dropping GLA entirely. As the B757s are retired and redeployed, some of the less profitable flying will end and comparing GLA/EDI it's clear where the focus lies nowadays.
Now I am not just setting out to be contentious as GLA was my old local, but if UNITED are keen on EWR-Scotland that might be the best way given their fleet constraints cos the B767 just doesn't fit the market whereas those B777s are in the old tradition of the Scottish market of flying paid for wide bodies into leisure markets over the summer. I am thinking of Air Canada flying daily on YYZ-GLA and of course NWO flying daily B747s into PIK, it was always the -100s and not the shiney new 200s
If we were talking about the premium heavy 167 seat layout, then yes I would agree it's not right for the market. However, I don't think that the standard 214 seat config is too premium heavy. EWR was regularly filling 32J a day in summer until the switch to IAD was made.

It may also depend upon UA's desire to introduce Polaris/Premium Plus to the EDI market in the longer term. EWR-DUB is now served by B78X, which as a brand new aircraft is obviously kitted out with all the latest cabins.