PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 4th Jul 2019, 13:24
divetosavemylife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squint eye - New Zealand Class 1

Hi guys,
I think I tried to post a thread on this but it got deleted - my bad, mods, anxiety level through the roof.

Situation:
I just did my Class 1 Medicals for New Zealand (initial) yesterday. Everything seems to be OK, my eyesight was cleared, I have 6/6 corrected, no issues there. I did, however, have surgery to correct a lazy eye when I was 3 years old, and yes I did declare that on my form. Since then I have not any issues whatsoever with my eyesight, been driving fine and even playing sports to a semi-professional level, competing like crazy as well and living my life normally.

The issue:
NZ Class 1 initials are followed by a special eye exam. In this exam, they detected an exotropia which I have until today just not paid much attention to because of how little it has affected my life. The doctor said that it would have an angle of deviation a little more than what is required, so he's sent me to see an orthoptist as he didn't have the necessary equipment to do what he had to - in this case, he's asked me to do a Fusional Reserve Test and a BSV test.

The questions:

1. Has anyone had this happen to them?
2. What actually happens in these tests?
3. Is this likely to affect my ability to get a Class 1?

Thanks in advance guys, appreciate it lots.