PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Background Reading for Command
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2019, 06:20
TheiC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drifter, you’ve got a great list started there, and I commend your interest in learning widely. I also disagree almost completely with 900er - those books are a great start and you learn command from the moment you take the right hand seat in a simulator or your first type.

I’ll add these recommendations:

Robert M Pirsig ‘Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance’ for its insight into thinking and mechanical sympathy (a vital quality which few people now understand)
Sid Dekker ‘The Field Guide to Understanding Human Error’ - and in fact any and all of his excellent works for insight into human factors and frailty, and how ‘the system’ responds
PJ Swatton ‘Aircraft Performance Theory and Practice for Pilots’ for its clear explanations of the widely misunderstood world of Perf A
DP Davies ‘Handling the Big Jets’ for its insight into aircraft design and flying techniques, and the professional values which the author brings to his work - but remember that it was written a good while ago and modern aircraft often exhibit different characteristics.