PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 15:24
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yoko1

It might surprise you, but I really wish Boeing had left both the cutoff switch wiring logic and the Runaway Stab checklist alone. That being said, I want to make sure that you understand the implications that go with changing things back to the way they were.
So you and a few other folks thinks the cutout switch logic should be returned to the NG configuration. I agree! However, that change does absolutely no good unless you go back to something like the earlier procedure. By its very nature, that procedure had more steps (and thus was harder to memorize), potentially took longer to execute because of the extra steps, and required a greater degree of knowledge of what was going on with the system.
For the NG (and theoretically reverted MAX) the stab trim runaway procedure memory items could be kept the same, simplistic paraphrase: Trim if possible, both switches to cutout.
The only change would be to add an option to restore manual electric trim once memory items were done, this would not need to be a memory item:

To restore manual electric trim set the [corect switch name] to enabled, be prepared to immediately disable if runaway trim re-occurs. Do not re-enable should this happen.

Second part covers a possible fault in either the pilot switches (highly unlikely) -or- the motor controller since power will be restored.