PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will a full career kill you?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2003, 00:22
Tigger_Too

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I claim no expert knowledge. The table is pure plagiarism from a report by Dr. Ephrem Cheng which he wrote about 25 years ago. I used it in a study a few years back

It was based on a pensions study, commissioned by Boeing (I think), so that they could assess whether the company pensions scheme was adequately funded. That in itself sound familiar!

Admittedly it is not new, but if the stats were accurate then, they shouldn't have changed that much. Perhaps another couple of years nowadays, but ........

What is particularly interesting in the study is the conclusion that for every year one works beyond age 55, one loses 2 years of life span on average.

From Google:

"The Boeing experience is that employees retiring at age of 65 receive pension checks for only 18 months, on average, prior to death. Similarly, the Lockheed experience is that employees retiring at age of 65 receive pension checks for only 17 months, on average, prior to death. Dr. David T. Chai indicated that the Bell Labs experience is similar to those of Boeing and Lockheed based on the casual observation from the Newsletters of Bell Lab retirees. A retiree from Ford Motor told Dr. Paul Tien-Lin Ho that the experience from Ford Motor is also similar to those in Boeing and Lockheed. "

Just think how much earlier I could have retired if I hadn't spent so much at all those Happy Hours. Then again, mabe not!

TT