PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Station Closures, Your Choice
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2003, 23:23
rej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle and Airbedane

I don't want to diverge from the real topic of this thread too much but I think you might like to know that the reason why at BZN VFR zone transits are vectored and climbed/descended to allow VFR passage. It is not at the whim of ATC but the airfield users (pseudo-airliners) do not want VFR traffic co-altitude, even if they are VFR. The stn-based aircrews are the ones who have "requested" that ATC separation is built in - and you know the old addage "no brevet - no vote". However, we at the other Clas D airspace, with tac crews willing to accept co-altitude traffic, apply Class D rules as they should be.

On the subject of "remain clear of CAS, standby" that is invariably to prevent ac straying into CAS without a clearance whilst one is being arranged/higher priority trafic being controlled. Unfortunately a number of GA pilots need that prompt otherwise they will continue into the Class D without a clearance (I know of a few local airspace users who have such a habit of trekking on). Why don't you come over to the southern class D tower to see what happens at the "dark side" when you want a crossing clearance (a certain amount of co-ordination takes place that you do not need to know about up there in the sky).

An on the subject of airfield closures/openings, they can reopen anywhere but Wyton (I know it's not strictly closed.... UAS). The thouight of another 3 years in Huntingdon is enough to drive anyone crazy.

Finally, thanks Airdedane for the ack that Lyneham ATC are pretty good - we aim to please.