PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video-Indian Air Force Jaguar drops practice munitions on airfield after bird strike.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 18:41
Bob Viking

Received 554 Likes on 152 Posts
A slight misconception

If there is one thing the Jaguar was not as it took off it is slow. Rotate speeds were often eye watering especially in hot and high locations with heavy stores.

The highest rotate speed I personally ever remember using was 193 knots at Davis Monthan in a warm April with bombs on. Tyre limiting speed at take off was 205 knots.

Now, if you want to banter acceleration or climb rates then I have no defence.

Carrying a PW3 (and tanks, missiles and chaff/ECM) out of Thumrait I remember it took 160 track miles to get to 14000’ in dry power.

To link the story to the Indian event we actually had dispensation to operate with a dead zone after take off at Thumrait until we had reached a certain speed. Losing an engine shortly after take off meant ejection was the only option. Hence the IAF jet dropping his stores was very necessary.

Also bear in mind I joined the Jaguar late when it had the 106 engines. Stand by for some horror stories from the likes of Dook and Background Noise.

Can anyone hear that noise? Kind of squeaky. Like a swinging lantern...

BV

Note: I apologise if any of my numbers are inaccurate. I do not have dementia yet and, to the best of my knowledge, they are correct.

Last edited by Bob Viking; 3rd Jul 2019 at 02:10.